People used to beg me to stop drinking. They just couldn’t understand how someone could keep doing the same things with consequences that got worse and worse over the years. Every time anyone mentioned my drinking, a seed was planted. But I know one thing for sure – when they told me I LOOKED LIKE SH*T , I listened. Maybe admitting that makes me shallow but what do I care? I don’t have spider veins spreading across my nose and cheeks and my hair isn’t dryer than the Sahara. Whatever it takes, do that. And always remember to keep it simple, Sisters. . . .
Some say drunk words are sober thoughts. Mine weren’t. I don’t know who that person was but it wasn’t pretty. And I said it all. Did it all. Didn’t remember it all. Has anyone ever told you that you’re a monster when you get drunk? That they don’t even recognize you? One theory is that alcohol is called spirits to refer to a demon or spirit that produces intoxication. Well. No one needs to see the spirited demon that rears it’s head when I drank. Better to have a happy spirit, soul, mind, and body. Happy Monday, Sisters! Keep it simple today. . . .
We know so many women who stopped drinking alcohol for Sober October or Dry January who decided to continue riding this AF train even after their month was “up”. After recognizing how much better they felt they realized exactly how much alcohol stole from them. Money, time, serenity, happiness, fitness, whatever! Anyway, if it’s your Day 1 or 1001, congrats! Keep it simple today, Sisters. . . .
Not to mention the fact that somehow when I got a buzz on I guess I thought I was #oprahwinfrey because it was “you get a shot! And you get a shot! Sure, you too!” like she used to say on her #favoritethings shows. Though I guess she said you get a car or something. Why did I do that? Well, I can’t answer why I did 85% of things I did after I got drunk. As for the other 15%, I just don’t remember. One thing that helped me to remember was if I woke up with an injury I could probably piece together how it happened. It’s nice to be relatively normal. Only took a few decades and scars that last a lifetime. They fade, though, and people forgive. I don’t forget and don’t want to. Why? Because I never want to be that lost soul again. Happy Wednesday, Sisters! Keep it simple today. . . .
New friends have never seen me sloppy drunk. Old friends are used to the “new” me. It’s not expected of me to be “that girl” anymore. As in omg that girl just faceplanted or holy sh*t that girl is being escorted out because she’s so wasted. It’s a fabulous thing but because it’s not what I was used to it can be uncomfortable. You’d think the uncomfortable feelings would come from the shame of what I did. Well. At least I wasn’t conscious while doing it. Sometimes it’s easier to numb, at least that way you don’t have to deal at that moment. I do know one thing for sure though. I’d rather be present for my feelings; good, bad, and oh so ugly. Happy Tuesday, sober family! Keep it simple today. . . .
Have you ever noticed the way that alcohol mandates your life? I only noticed it after I quit drinking. The phone calls and texts before an event – who’s driving (not me!!!!), what are we drinking, do we have enough? Oh no someone got hurt but no one can drive! Oh no I sent a text I shouldn’t have bc alcohol said to. Oh no where did I wake up, who’s that guy in the bed, and what are these bruises?! Not my best moments so when I stopped being Alcohol’s puppet life got a lot better. Less stress, anxiety, and shame. Happpppppy FRIDAY, sober family! Keep it simple today. . . .
Did any of you ever wake up still drunk from the night before? Like hammered drunk? I’ll wait to hear your answers before I tell you mine 🤐😂but a friend of mine told me this story the other day. She used to run a big company that took care of seniors and had a few women there who weren’t…let’s say… living up to their potentials and her expectations. They’d come in so debilitated from the night before that they were less than productive from 8 am til about noon. She cared a lot about them and offered help if they needed it. Like many of us they denied having a problem. So guess what she did? She made their work day START at noon. Not many of us have a boss like that. I know I never have. So if you woke up today instead of came to, know where your ID is, and can formulate a sentence, you’re on the right track. Happy Saturday, sober family! Keep it simple today. 🖤👯♀️. . . .
Freedom from alcohol is the most important gift I could give myself. Ever. I never knew how riddled with fear I was until I put the bottle down. Luckily, after I did, that fear has dwindled down to a tiny little trickle. Good thing. My nerves couldn’t take it for one more day. Happy Friday, sober family! Keep it simple today. . . .